Wednesday, September 01, 2010

I'm Too Tired Today

It's morning; I'm dragging. The last thing I want to do is write on Chapter 12. Hmm. Don't want to search for markets or write on a feature idea. I could blog. Really don't want to do that either. I could just up and leave the computer. But I don't.

When I worked the 8-to-5 career, I hated mornings. I dragged. But I didn't have the option of walking away. They paid me for the eight hours (more like 9-10 most days) that I physically arrived on the premises. So I opened a file, made a phone call, read a report or wrote responses - whether I felt like it or not. Bummer.

But I got paid. In hindsight, I couldn't remember what work I did when I was tired and when I performed when I was chipper. The end result was usually the same.

My novel will have chapters written when I was dull-witted, happy, angry, bright-eyed or indifferent. But the final product will make me proud.

So I yawn, stretch and try to come alive - fix a glass of tea. Then I sit down. I don't get up until the job is done.

And when I do I'm satisfied.

5 comments:

Ellie Garratt said...

I think about work vs writing a lot, and your post has made me analyse it some more. When I go to work, I work however I feel, because I get paid for it. If I'm at home and feeling tired, I may not write. If you are a writer, and want to be successful, you need to take the same approach to it as work.

Great post. Hope your enregy returns soon!

Carol J. Alexander said...

Thanks, Hope!

Linda O'Connell said...

Amen! This is the determination of a professional in any field. You inspire me and many others.
http://lindaoconnell.blogspot.com

T. Powell Coltrin said...

First of all, I don't think your beard is that good (picture). :)

Secondly, is it wrong that I have a rule that no one talks to me before 10 am at work and that everyone follows my rule?

Teresa

Angela Giles Klocke said...

That's how I feel about it. And you will never get paid in this job if you always wait until you feel like it. :D