Thursday, June 10, 2010

INTERNATIONAL THREE-DAY NOVEL CONTEST



http://www.3daynovel.com/about/?contest
$50 ENTRY FEE
Can you produce a masterwork of fiction in three short days? The 3-Day Novel Contest is your chance to find out. For more than 30 years, hundreds of writers step up to the challenge each Labour Day weekend, fuelled by nothing but adrenaline and the desire for spontaneous literary nirvana.

1st Prize: Publication*
2nd Prize: $500
3rd Prize: $100
*The first prize winner will be offered a publishing contract by 3-Day Books after the winner announcement in the January following the contest. Once the contract is signed, the winning novel will be edited, published and released by the next year’s contest. 3-Day Books are distributed by Arsenal Pulp Press. Paid registration must be in the mail by the Friday before the contest (Sept. 3, 2010).

NOTE: Read the details, but I believe you can outline beforehand. Guess it's an honor system of sorts, but there is something exciting about such a tight deadline and knowing that thousands around the globe are sweating blood at their computer screens, too.

DOUBLE NOTE: No, I can't do these sudden death contests for long fiction. Gracious. It takes me a year to write one story and a week to do a first draft for one chapter. I have enough pressure on me as it is! Chapter Nine is dragging out of me as slow as my first child . . . agony.

1 comment:

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Wow, I wonder how much editing goes into the winning book after the three days.