Friday, April 01, 2011

Try Not to Copy

When Amanda Hocking made a cool million in  month, the writing arena echoed with articles, blogs, Tweets and emails. When she signed a $2 Million deal for four books with St. Martin Press, shock waves traveled, and traveled, and traveled...  It got to the point that if I saw the mention of the 26-year-old who signed a multi-million... I deleted it unread.

Don't get me wrong, I love that girl. She's phenomenal. But I was amazed when everyone spoke about her, and nobody had anything different to say. Boring.

Google's settlement offer isn't accepted, and I read it on ten emails and a dozen Tweets. Thriller writer Barry Eisler decides to self-publish, and it floods my mail and social media for a week. It's like we have to tap the lead story and repeat, repeat, repeat. Before we know it, we've killedan hour reading the same story in different modes, and learned nothing after the first edition.

When I open your blog about 10 Ways to Improve on Your use of Twitter, please make it ten NEW ways. When you profess to have new ideas on how to plan for a conference, make them your own.

When you're socially networking, retweeting, and blogging, be unique. Be outlandish, smart, savvy, fresh. Make me want to read you because I know you won't be like what I just read. Otherwise, when you start flashing that new book around, I'm going to feel I've probably seen the plot before.


(**Have a great weekend. I'm in Blue Ridge, Georgia at their conference in the Appalachian Foothills, and will see you Monday. How's the shorter blog suit you? Pros? Cons?)

12 comments:

Anthony J. Langford said...

Very true Hope.
Though, unfortunately, I think some of the best self-marketers are not the best writers. How good can this girl be? I imagine, probably average at best.. but then, look at Twilight.. you just can't predict some things..and quality seems to take a back seat ...

ps Best of luck at the conference.

Sophie Playle said...

Good tip. I'm sick of reading the same things over and over! A useful thing to remember when writing our own blog posts and articles...

Carol J. Alexander said...

True, true.
Isn't that what's drilled into the beginning writer...have a new angle?
Isn't that a top reason for rejection...no new angle?

Short blog post...yeah!

Stacy S. Jensen said...

It's easy to get caught up in the pack (topic). Good point. Have fun in Blue Ridge. I'm from there and attended a conference years ago. I return to Georgia a day late for the conference, but at least I'll get to visit family and friends.

Stacy S. Jensen said...

True. It's easy to get caught up in the pack. Have fun in Blue Ridge. I attended the conference several years ago when I lived there. Now, I find myself in CO. I planned a trip to visit friends and family — a day after the conference. Oops.

Stella Jones Myers said...

I agree with every thing you said. It IS boring to see the same old stuff. Have a great time at the conference. It is nice to change up the blog post from short to longer and I enjoyed the guest blog.

Unknown said...

Hi - I enjoy your longer blogs - for me they are a teachable moment. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Yes mam! *salutes*

widdershins said...

I try not to comment on the flavour of the month ... er ... second ... on my blog. I figure there are a gazillion sites that'll do it a whole lot better than me. I might use something as a cultural reference but that's about it. If someone's reading my blog I have to assume that they're there to read what I have to say, and if they come back then I'm doing it right.

... Short or long doesn't matter, it's quality of what you write that I'm here for.

... about your editorial on your newsletter this morning... please let us know exactly how many messages your son did get telling him to do as his mother wants and get a haircut!!!... you're so bad, in a deliciously wicked scary kinda way.

Chris said...

This is why it's difficult to be a good blogger IMHO. It is contra to the "green movement." No recycling allowed. Fresh is best. This is why I enjoy your blog, Hope.

Joshua Heights said...

Stumbled upon your blog by way of Amanda Hocking tweeting nonsence about her trip to Vegas. Ms lark your blog caused a smile to come to my face this late sunday morning.

Hope Clark said...

Widdershins-

I guess between my son's Tweets and mine, along with my emails and Facebook posts, about 20 people commented on my April Fool's comment about getting my son to cut his hair. Two people scolded me big time! The result? Only one said for him to listen to his mother. The others said let his hair go long. Some said it was sexy! Oh yeah, just what a mom wants to hear. LOL